26 February 2004

Seven gone, one on campus...


I took job candidate #7 (of eight) for position #3 (of four) to the Harlingen Airport yesterday. No major problems with this interview -- hurray! Our eight (I hesitate to say "last") job candidate arrived on time and safely yesterday, so things are looking good for a smooth interview today.

;;;;;

Some weeks back, a friend advised me to look up at the night sky. Earlier this week, I finally did get a glimpse of a beautiful night sky. There was a crescent moon, and Venus was just a few degrees to the right of the moon, glowing brightly. It was just dark enough that no other stars were visible. Marvelous...

;;;;;

Most thought provoking comment this week (so far), from ABC Radio's show The Buzz: "I maintain that mobile phones are really the learning tools of the future, that we are going to see pretty much all learning take place around the world through this communication device because teaching and learning is basically a communication process."

This was part of a fascinating interview about how younger people ("digital natives") have dramatically different ways of doing things than older ("digital immigrants"). You can read the transcript here or go to the main page to listen in Real Audio.

;;;;;

I found a new reason to go back to Canada today: Belinda Stronach. I'd like to go back to Canada to vote against her. I couldn't support anyone who uses the word "incentivizing," which she did repeatedly on CBC Radio's show The Current this morning. I think that just displaced "prioritizing" as my answer to "What is your least favourite word?' question on Bernard Pivot's questionnaire. (Maybe later, I'll post my answers to the other nine questions.)

;;;;;

Oh yeah, I had a birthday this week. Not enough people brought cake. Rather anticlimactic day, in fact.

No comments: